Spicy Cheddar-Pecan Wafers
Makes about 30 wafers
Cheese wafers are very popular in the south. My version is so easy and absolutely delicious as hors d'oeuvres or snack crackers, and are great to take to a finger food potluck. If possible, make them a day ahead for optimal flavor. The recipe can be made without the pecans for an equally delightful cheese version or, if desired, with a different nut.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup finely shredded sharp or extra sharp cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 15 large pecan halves, halved again
Preheat oven to 350° F. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and cheese until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, except for pecans, and mix just until well combined. Shape into 3/4-inch balls. Place 2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets lined with parchment. Using fingers, flatten each ball and top with a pecan piece. Bake until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and let cool on baking rack. Wafers can be stored in an airtight container for several days.
Notes: If you prefer more heat, add additional cayenne and/or black pepper.