Baked Mushrooms with Crab Stuffing
Makes about 20 mushrooms
I love stuffed mushrooms. Filled with crab, as in this recipe, they are especially good on a buffet or for a cocktail party, but are equally appropriate served as an appetizer, in which case the recipe can easily be made in a smaller amount as needed.
- About 20 medium-sized button mushrooms, preferably cremini, stems and grit removed
- 1-1/2 cups crabmeat, flaked
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preheat oven to 350° F. In a small bowl, combine the crab, garlic, breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon juice and oil. Stuff into the mushroom caps, adding enough to make a little mound. (If you have extra crab filling, form it into little patties about the same size as the stuffed mushrooms.) Place on a baking sheet with a little space between each. Drizzle with extra oil. Bake until hot and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Serve hot, warm or room temperature.
Notes: If serving as an appetizer, larger mushrooms can be used, adjusting cooking time if needed.