Makes about 2 cups
Since I love spinach dip, as well as dips made with sour cream or yogurt, I decided to combine them into one delicious recipe. The garlic, lemon, chives, nutmeg and cheese complement the spinach while the yogurt makes it creamy, similar to the traditional hot spinach dip, but much lighter and healthier. It is a quick and easy dip to use as an appetizer or party food served with pita triangles, crackers or vegetable crudites.
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely minced (use less if a milder flavor is desired)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt (nonfat or low fat)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together until well-combined. Taste for seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Let come to room temperature before serving.
Notes: When I use yogurt in a dip, I usually purchase Greek yogurt which is thicker and creamier than regular because the whey as been strained out. However, you can also use regular yogurt and, if desired, thicken it by allowing it to strain in a sieve lined with cheesecloth or a paper coffee filter and set over a bowl in the refrigerator for about one hour.