Cherry Pudding Cake
Serves 6 to 8
My mother baked often when we were children and did not limit herself to the same old favorites. She was always trying new recipes. Cherry pudding cake is a quick and easy dessert that is an example of the variety of baked goods she made. It is equally appropriate for a family dinner, special occasion or entertaining.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, preferably unsalted, room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 cup pitted sour cherries, fresh or canned (see notes below)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Combine all ingredients except cherries. Stir until well blended. Fold in cherries. Pour into prepared pan. Bake about 25-30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with milk or cream.
Notes: Fresh sour cherries are difficult to find. Water-packed canned sour cherries with no sugar added can be used in this recipe and other baked goods. Drain well before using. Leftover cake can be eaten as is, but it is best warmed slightly in the microwave.