Makes 9 to 12 squares
This is a quick and easy dessert that came from my mother. It is basically a cherry crisp with a bottom crust that uses canned pie filling and is absolutely delicious. Enjoy.
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, preferably unsalted, room temperature
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (21-ounces) light cherry pie filling
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, mix the sugar, walnuts, oats, butter and flour. Work with fingers until crumbs form. Reserve 1-1/2 cups.
Press remaining crumbs into bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish. Stir cinnamon into cherry filling; spread over crust. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top; press down gently. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on rack; cut into 9 to 12 squares, depending on desired size. Serve as is or with optional ice cream or whipped cream.