Pound Cake with Peaches and Schnapps
I love peaches with pound cake and it makes a super quick and easy dessert that can be served on a busy weeknight or for a special dinner. Although this recipe is delicious when fresh peaches are in season, you can easily substitute unsweetened frozen peaches or drained canned peaches, omitting the sugar if canned, and have it any time of the year. See the notes below for some other suggestions.
- 4 large peaches, peeled and thinly slices
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons peach schnapps (see notes below)
- Pound cake, store-bought or homemade (see the similar and related recipes links)
- Homemade or store-bought whipped cream or topping
Place the peaches in a medium bowl with the lemon, sugar, cinnamon and schnapps. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. To serve, slice the cake into thick individual servings. Spoon some of the juice from the peaches over each piece of cake. Top with peaches, more juice and the whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Notes: For a kid-friendly version, either omit the schnapps or make two separate bowls, one with and the other without. If you decide to make your own cake, it can be made a day or two ahead and refrigerated until needed. As for homemade whipped cream, it takes very little time and is better than store-bought. Angel food cake is a good substitute for a lighter dessert.