Serves 6 to 8
This recipe, which came from my mother, is an easy and delicious way to use rhubarb in a dessert presentation.
- 4 cups rhubarb cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cream or evaporated milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter, preferably unsalted, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, preferably unsalted, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine the ingredients for the fruit and place in a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish. Combine the ingredients for the crunch topping. Mix with hands until lumps form. Sprinkle as crumbs on top of rhubarb mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and bubbly and top is browned. Serve warm or at room temperature. If desired, top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.