Southwestern-Style Breakfast Tortillas
This recipe for tortillas with eggs is very good for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner. It is also great to serve at a brunch and let people assemble their own wrap with toppings to taste, which is convenient for those eating healthier or vegetarians. All you need to do is keep the eggs and tortillas warm. The recipe can be made in any amount, allowing one egg per person and adjusting the remaining ingredients. If desired, use your favorite store-bought taco sauce and tomato salsa, or check out my recipes in the similar and related recipes links.
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 4 eggs, medium to extra-large
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 (8-inches) flour tortillas, white or wheat
- Tomato Salsa (see similar and related recipes)
- Taco Sauce (see similar and related recipes)
- Cooked bacon, crumbled
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Chopped chiles, mild or hot to taste
- Sour cream (can use reduced fat)
- Shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- Chopped fresh cilantro and/or parsley
Heat the oil in a large, preferably nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with the water until frothy. Add salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Using a spatula, push bottoms of eggs from edges to center as they set, allowing liquid to get to bottom of pan. Continue until eggs are desired doneness. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm over low heat.
Heat the tortillas, either in a dry skillet over medium heat, turning once, or in a microwave, wrapping each with a paper towel and cooking at high for 12 seconds. To serve, place one-fourth of the eggs down the center of each tortilla, top with the desired garnishes, and fold up the sides. Serve immediately.
Notes: For a nice presentation, fold the filled tortilla and then top with some of the salsa, sour cream, chopped cilantro or other toppings. Serve with a knife and fork.