Recipes for Leftover Rice
Make in any amount
There are many preparations in which leftover rice can be used. I decided to list some of the more common applications, but added a couple that are, admittedly, unusual. If you should ever have leftovers of those types, try them. See the similar and related recipes links for a basic white rice recipe.
- Add leftover cooked rice of any type to a Soup at the end of cooking, just long enough to heat through.
- Leftover rice can be added to an Italian Omelet (Frittata), much the same as you would add leftover spaghetti.
- Make Crispy Baked Rice Squares with leftover brown or white rice pilaf.
- Chances are you will only make Paella for a special occasion and there will be little or no leftovers. However, if there is enough and you do not want it exactly the same way or you need to stretch it for another meal, make Paella Soup. Sauté some chopped onion, green pepper and garlic in a little olive oil. Then add a little dry sherry, canned whole tomatoes slightly crushed, fish or chicken broth and a few of the seasonings in the original dish. Bring it all to a boil, then add the leftover paella, reduce heat and simmer just until heated. It is a delicious and completely different Seafood Stew. If there are mussels or clams in the paella, I would suggest removing the shells before making the soup.
- Plain cooked rice is delicious the second time around with some tomatoes and seasonings added. You can even turn it into a quick Spanish Rice. Sauté some chopped onions and green bell peppers. Add just enough unseasoned tomato sauce to coat the rice. Season with cumin, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the rice add cook just until heated.
- Make a quick Rice Pudding. Place the cooked rice in a small saucepan and add a little milk, sugar or maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
- Make Rice Bread using Heather Dormer's recipe.