Baked Pork Chops with Tomatoes and Parmesan
I love pork chops, and this Italian-influenced recipe for baked chops with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese is no exception. It is an easy, relatively quick and delicious presentation for a busy weeknight or casual entertaining. Serve with pasta topped with some of the sauce.
- 4 bone-in, thick-cut pork loin chops
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped green peppers
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed with juices
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375° F. Mix together the flour, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper. Lightly coat each chop with the flour mixture. Over medium-high heat, heat just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large ovenproof skillet. Add the chops and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from skillet. If necessary, add a little more olive oil, then the onions and peppers; sauté until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté one more minute. Add the tomatoes, wine, 1 tablespoon oregano and 1 teaspoon thyme; cook about 5 minutes more or until slightly reduced. Return the chops to the skillet and spoon sauce on top. Place in the oven and bake until hot and done, about 40 minutes, spooning sauce on top occasionally. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Place on individual serving plates, spooning sauce on top and serve immediately.