Baked Sausage and Potatoes
This is an easy, delicious and relatively quick main dish casserole recipe that requires very little preparation and less than one hour baking time. For many years, it was one of my favorite 'go to' weeknight dinners, needing only a tossed green salad to make a complete meal.
- 1 pound Italian link sausage, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped, about 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped, about 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
Preheat oven to 400° F. Combine all ingredients in baking pan sprayed with olive oil, adding just enough olive oil to the mixture to coat slightly. Cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Notes: Whole or halved mushrooms are very good in this dish. A combination of green and red peppers is colorful and tasty. Any fresh link sausage, hot or mild, can be used. If preferred, smoked sausage can be substituted for the fresh. Other herbs, such as thyme, marjoram or fennel seeds, can be added or replace the oregano.