Sautéed Veal Patties with Mushrooms
My mother created this recipe for cubed veal patties many years ago. At the time, the veal patties were easy to find and a more economical choice than other veal. The recipe makes a quick and easy main dish for a busy weeknight. Mom always served it with buttered noodles. If preferred, veal, pork or chicken cutlets can be substituted for the cubed veal. For a similar recipe using cubed steak, see the similar and related recipes links.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cubed veal patties, cut into approximately 3/4-inch strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 pound whole button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the veal with salt and pepper, then sauté until lightly browned. Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned. Add flour and stir well for about 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, wine and broth, stirring well to combine with the flour. Cook until slightly thickened. Serve over pasta or rice.