Cottage Cheese Pie
Makes two 9-inch pies
This cottage cheese pie recipe came from my grandmother. My family always made it with a pastry crust, which was traditional for Pennsylvania Dutch pies, but it is equally good with a graham cracker crust, so use whichever you prefer. Either way, this is an easy and delicious dessert or sweet treat.
- 16 ounces cottage cheese (can use reduced fat)
- 1 scant cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 can (12-ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- Two 9-inch unbaked pie crusts, store-bought or homemade (see recipe in the related links)
Place cottage cheese in a strainer and let it drain for about 1 hour or until most of liquid has been discarded. Preheat oven to 425° F. Combine all ingredients except egg whites; mix well. Beat egg whites until firm. Fold into batter until smooth. Pour into pie crusts. Bake for 15 minutes then reduce oven to 350° and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on racks, then refrigerate. The flavor intensifies if served a day after baking.