This is a quick and easy side dish recipe. Browning the rice before cooking adds a delicious nutty flavor. Substitute different herbs or spices as desired, especially those to complement the main dish.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large pinch dried thyme
- 1 large pinch rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water according to directions on rice package (usually 1 part rice to 2 parts water)
Add just enough oil to lightly cover bottom of medium saucepan. Add the chopped onions and green peppers; sauté over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute. Add the rice and sauté until the grains are brown, stirring often and being careful not to burn. Add water, herbs, salt and pepper; cover and cook according to package directions, usually about 20 minutes. When all the water has been absorbed, turn off heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes without stirring. Remove cover, fluff with fork and serve.
Notes: This is equally good with brown rice. See the recipe in the similar and related recipes links.