Makes one 9-inch pie
This recipe is basically the same as my grandmother's rhubarb pie except that she substituted strawberries for half of the rhubarb. My family always preferred a crumb topping, but it can be replaced with a full or lattice crust, or be omitted entirely.
- One 9-inch unbaked pie shell, store-bought or homemade (see recipe in the similar and related recipes links)
- 2 cups of 1-inch thick rhubarb slices (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 cups strawberries, halved if needed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, preferably unsalted, softened
Preheat oven to 425° F. Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice and salt. Turn into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the crumb topping ingredients and mix with hands until large crumbs form. Drop evenly on top of the partially baked pie. Bake for 15 minutes more or until crumbs are brown and pie is bubbly. Cool on rack before serving.
Notes: Rhubarb is tart. The strawberries provide sweetness but, depending on your taste, you might want to add more sugar.