Three-Cheese Spinach Calzone with Prosciutto and Roasted Red Peppers
The filling in this calzone recipe is delicious and can be used in other savory pastries. I always drain my ricotta cheese because it tends to weep when cooked. If you do not have time, that step can be omitted and it will not be an issue. Prosciutto, an Italian cured ham, is available at most any good deli counter but, if you cannot find it, a good baked ham will do. It can be omitted for an equally delicious version for vegetarian guests. You can use store-bought jarred or deli roasted peppers, but they are very easy to make from scratch. As for the dough, I prefer homemade when time permits, but store-bought is an acceptable substitute for a very quick weeknight main dish or casual entertaining.
- 1 can (10 ounces) refrigerated pizza dough, or homemade pizza dough for one 14-inch pizza (see recipe in the similar and related recipes links)
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese, full fat or part-skim, drained for about 30 minutes in a sieve lined with cheesecloth or coffee filter
- 3 ounces Provolone cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium red peppers, roasted, peeled and cut into thin strips (see related recipes links)
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Preheat oven to 400° F. Roll dough to a 12x12-inch square. Cut into 4 equal squares. In a medium bowl, mix together all of the remaining ingredients except the egg and water. Place filling a little off center on each dough square. Wrap the dough around the filling by bringing one side over to meet the other and form a triangle. Round off the corners to form a semi-circle. Press edges with a fork to seal. Place on a baking sheet. Brush the top of each calzone with the egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let set about 5 minutes. Serve hot, warm or room temperature.