Baked Bratwurst and Vegetables
This German-inspired sausage and vegetable casserole recipe is a very easy and delicious main dish. It comes together in minutes and only takes about one hour to bake, so it is great for a busy weeknight. Serve with a tossed green salad and you have a complete meal.
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 pound bratwurst, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped into about 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped into about 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About 2 teaspoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 425° F. Combine all ingredients in a 10x10-inch or similar-sized baking dish sprayed with cooking oil spray, adding just enough of the olive oil to the mixture to coat slightly. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Notes: Sweet potatoes can be substituted for the white for an equally delicious dish.