Braised Italian Sausage and Peppers with Polenta
Braised sausage and peppers, traditionally served with polenta, is a classic Italian recipe that is easy, relatively quick and so good. Serve with your own favorite polenta seasoned with garlic and Parmesan cheese or see my recipe in the similar and related recipes links.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 2 to 3-inch pieces (mild, hot or a mixture of both)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) whole tomatoes, crushed with fingers, with juices
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked polenta for 4 servings(see recipe in the similar and related recipes links)
Heat a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sausage and sauté until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from pan and set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan. Add the other 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Reduce heat to medium. Add the onions and sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and fennel; sauté another minute. Return heat to high; add the wine and cook about 1 minute, scraping up any browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and peppers; season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked sausage. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium, partially cover, and cook until the peppers are tender and the liquid has reduced, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, make the polenta according to the recipe. To serve, spoon some polenta on individual serving plates and top with the sausage and peppers.
Similar and Related Recipes
Polenta with Garlic and Parmesan Cheese
Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Peppers and Onions
Baked Pork Chops with Peppers