Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables and Gravy
Serves 4 to 6
This roast chicken recipe is easy, delicious and, with all the vegetables, a one pot meal. Even if you are cooking for less than four, make a whole chicken and enjoy the leftovers. The amount of vegetables can be adjusted according to the number of servings needed.
- One whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 small onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and slightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons softened butter, preferably unsalted
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cold water to make a paste
Preheat oven to 450° F. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season the cavity with salt and pepper. Add the 1/2 small onion and the garlic. Rub the outside all over with the butter. Season the outside with the thyme, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper. Place in a shallow roasting pan large enough to hold the chicken and vegetables. Surround the chicken with the cut vegetables. Season them with salt and pepper and drizzle with the olive oil. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and continue to roast until the chicken is done, about 40 minutes, basting every 15 minutes with the pan juices or a little water. Remove the chicken to a cutting board; tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. If desired, return the vegetables to the oven and broil until lightly browned. Place the vegetables in a serving bowl and keep warm.
Meanwhile, make the gravy. Place the roasting pan on a burner over high heat. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Reduce to a simmer. Mix together the flour and enough cold water to make a thick paste. Gradually whisk the paste into the simmering broth. Continue to add paste and whisk vigorously until gravy is the desired thickness. Cut the chicken into pieces and serve with the vegetables, passing the gravy separately.