Thousand Island Cabbage Slaw
Makes about 4 cups slaw
I created this coleslaw recipe to garnish grilled corned beef sandwiches, as in the similar and related recipes links. However, it turned out so good that I occasionally use it as a side dish salad in place of traditional coleslaw. The recipe can be halved or doubled as needed.
- 1 cup mayonnaise (can use light or canola)
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (can use reduced fat)
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 hard-cooked egg, finely chopped
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
Mix together the first 7 ingredients. Stir in the chopped egg. Pour over the cabbage. Stir well to combine. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.