Green Bean, Chickpea and Tomato Salad
Serves 4 to 6
This bean salad, made with Italian ingredients, is a quick, easy, healthy and delicious side dish. It is a nice change of pace from the usual four bean salad. Serve it for a family meal, picnic or potluck event. The recipe can easily be doubled or made in any amount desired.
- 1 can (about 14.5 ounces) cut green beans, drained (see notes below)
- 1 can (about 8 ounces) chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Place all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and toss well. Serve immediately or let stand up to one hour at room temperature. Alternately, the salad, without the tomatoes, can be refrigerated for 2 or 3 days. Bring to room temperature and add the tomatoes before serving.
Notes: I prefer to use no-salt-added or low-sodium canned beans and vegetables. The flavor is fresher, and you can always add salt to the salad as needed.