Serves 8 to 10
Bean salad is a popular side dish that varies greatly from one family to the next. This recipe, which came from my mother, is my favorite. It is very easy, healthy and delicious. Through the years, the size of canned beans, as all canned items, has shrunk. Just use whatever size is closest to the amount given and keep the remaining ingredients the same. I prefer to use no-salt-added or low-sodium vegetables and beans, but that choice is yours. If you have fresh green and/or yellow beans from the garden, you can cook them in lightly salted boiling water just until tender, and use them in place of canned.
- 1 can (about 16-ounces) cut green beans
- 1 can (about 16-ounces) cut yellow beans
- 1 can (about 16-ounces) red kidney beans
- 1 can (about 16-ounces) chickpeas
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar, depending on taste
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup canola or other vegetable oil
Rinse and drain beans; toss with the vegetables. Thoroughly blend together the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over beans and toss. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
Notes: If you want to make a smaller amount, look for beans in half-size cans or omit the yellow beans. Bean salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.