Baby Greens, Beets and Goat Cheese Salad with Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
This salad recipe is super easy to make and so good. All of the flavors complement each other perfectly. When I first made it, I used canned beets. Since then, I am able to purchase cooked beets in a vacuum-sealed package that are fresher tasting than canned and have no salt or liquid added. If you can get them, do so. If not, the canned are still very good. Of course, you can use cooked fresh beets when you have the time. This salad is quick enough for a busy weeknight, but makes a special presentation for entertaining.
- 4 ounces mixed baby greens, rinsed and dried if necessary
- Thinly sliced sweet onion
- About 1 pound sliced red beets, drained (canned, vacuum-packed or fresh cooked)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (can use red wine vinegar)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra virgin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces mild goat cheese crumbled
Place the greens, onions and beets in a large salad bowl. Place the garlic, mustard and honey in a small bowl. Add the vinegar and whisk to combine. Add the olive oil gradually, whisking constantly until emulsified. Whisk in the salt and pepper. Drizzle the desired amount of dressing over the salad. Add the cheese and toss well. Serve immediately.
Notes: For a more elegant presentation, place the greens on individual salad plates. Top with the onions and beets, crumble the cheese on top and drizzle with dressing.