Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts
Serves 6 to 8
This recipe, which came from my mother, is a variation on a basic chicken salad. I do not know why, but I tend not to make chicken salad very often, even though I really like it. I do know that this has always been one of my favorites for a main dish chicken salad, because the grapes and walnuts add so much flavor and texture. See the variations below for some other possibilities.
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup seedless red or green grapes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup mayonnaise (can use reduced-fat)
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients; blend well. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Variations: This is equally good with leftover turkey. The grapes can be replaced with other fresh fruit, such as mandarin oranges or apples. Other nuts can be used in place of the walnuts.