Serves 4 to 6
I cannot imagine how many versions of coleslaw there are. This recipe is very easy to make and made extra creamy with the addition of sour cream, which also mellows the flavor of the mayonnaise.
Prepare your own vegetables or purchase a packaged coleslaw mix without the seasoning packet, and just add the peppers and onions.
- 1/2 head green cabbage, coarsely shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 large green pepper, finely chopped (or combination red and green)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (can use reduced fat or canola)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (can use reduced fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the cabbage, green peppers, onions and carrot in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Taste for seasoning. Pour over the vegetables and stir well to combine. Slaw can be served immediately, but is even better if allowed to stand, covered, in the refrigerator for at least several hours or overnight.