Baby Leaf Spinach Salad with Orange Slices and Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
Serves 4 to 6
This is a lovely and delicious spinach salad recipe that can be used as a first course or served with the entree. Whether you use the blood orange or regular orange, the color is wonderful, and it makes a beautiful presentation for an elegant meal, but is quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
- 10 ounces prewashed baby spinach
- 1 small sweet or red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 blood or navel orange, rind and pith removed, thinly sliced horizontally
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make a generous bed with the spinach leaves on individual serving plates. Arrange some of the sliced onions and oranges on top. Place the lemon juice, mustard, honey and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Taste before adding salt. Drizzle some vinaigrette over each salad. Serve immediately.