Marinated Vegetable Salad
Serves 6 to 8
This vegetable salad or slaw is very easy to prepare. It makes a delicious side dish for a picnic or family meal. And, since it can be made ahead and is best at room temperature, it is ideal for a party buffet or potluck event. Substitute or add any vegetables you prefer. Green beans, broccoli and cauliflower are just a few examples.
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into thin strips and then on the diagonal
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips and then on the diagonal
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 medium carrots, cut thinly on the diagonal
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 cups very thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cups olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the vegetables in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the vinegar, garlic and mustard. Gradually whisk in the oil until well-combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. (If the mixture is too vinegary for your taste, add a little more oil or water.) Pour over the vegetables and stir well to combine. Let marinate at least one hour or refrigerate overnight and bring back to room temperature before serving.