Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwiches with Spinach Leaves and Caesar Dressing
Makes 6 sandwiches
This is a simple and delicious sandwich recipe, similar to a Caesar salad with grilled chicken, but in sandwich form. The recipe can be made in any amount needed and is equally good with leftover chicken.
- 6 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 3 larger breasts cut in half horizontally)
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves, cleaned and dried
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (can use light or canola)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper taste
- 6 crusty rolls, halved horizontally
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Spray or drizzle with olive oil. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Add the chicken and brown on both sides until cooked through and the juices run clear, about 5 minutes per side depending on thickness. Remove from pan, tent with foil and let rest while making preparing dressing.
Meanwhile make the dressing. Place the garlic, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, anchovy paste, olive oil and 1-1/2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese in a mini-processor. Process until well combined. (This can be done by hand. Mince the garlic first.) Add pepper and taste for salt. If the dressing is thicker than you like, thin with just a little water. Drizzle over the spinach leaves and toss to combine.
Slice the chicken breasts and arrange on the split rolls. Top with some of the dressed spinach. Sprinkle with extra Parmesan. Serve immediately.
Notes: The chicken can be grilled outdoors, or sautéed in a skillet. This is also very good in pita pockets.