Chicken Breast Sandwiches with Peppers and Provolone Cheese
Makes 2 sandwiches
I love a good sandwich, and boneless, skinless chicken breasts make a delicious sandwich filling. In this Italian-inspired recipe, I add sautéed peppers and onions, and top it all with good cheese for a quick, easy and healthy main dish for lunch or dinner. This works equally well with leftover chicken breasts. Just slice them and add to the vegetables at the end of cooking to warm slightly. Make this recipe in any amount needed. Any extra chicken and peppers can be reheated or used in a room temperature sandwich the next day.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, more if needed
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 each small red and green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 large onion, preferably sweet, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sub rolls, or other crusty sandwich roll, preferably whole wheat
- Thinly sliced extra sharp provolone cheese (or other cheese, as desired)
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- Hot pickled peppers (optional)
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook until browned and done, about 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove from pan and cover lightly with foil. Reduce heat to medium. If needed, add a little more oil to the pan, then the garlic, peppers and onions. Season with the basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Sauté, tossing occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
Cut the rolls in half horizontally. If desired, place cut-side up under the broiler and toast lightly. Spread both insides of the rolls with the optional mayonnaise. Slice the chicken breasts on an angle and place on bottom halves of the rolls, overlapping as needed to fit. Top with the peppers and onions, then the cheese. Return to the broiler just until the cheese starts to melt. If desired, garnish with hot peppers. Top with the remaining roll halves and serve immediately.