Chicken BLT (Chicken Sandwiches with Bacon, Lettuce and Tomatoes)
Makes 4 sandwiches
This chicken sandwich recipe is quick, easy and very good. Although it calls for cooking chicken breasts from scratch, I have made it with leftover chicken. You can also use boneless chicken thighs, store-bought rotisserie or deli chicken, any of which will make equally good sandwiches. The recipe can be made in any amount needed.
- 4 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4-inch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp and drained on paper towels
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, cleaned and patted dry
- Mayonnaise (can use light or canola)
- 4 medium-sized crusty sandwich rolls, white or whole wheat
Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then drizzle or spray with olive oil on both sides. Heat an outdoor grill, grill pan or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and grill or sauté until lightly browned and the juices run clear, about 4 minutes per side depending on heat source. Split the rolls in half. If desired, remove some of the bread from the inside and lightly toast the cut sides under the broiler. Spread the cut sides of the rolls with mayonnaise. Place the chicken on the bottom half. Top with the bacon, tomato slices and lettuce. Close each sandwich with the top half of the roll. Serve immediately.