Grilled Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese Horseradish Sauce
This is a delicious steak sandwich recipe and especially easy when you have some leftover grilled steak. However, it is so good I sometimes grill a steak just for this purpose. Any type of type of steak will work in this recipe. It is also good with leftover beef roast. Make the recipe in any amount desired.
- Leftover grilled steak, cut into about 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup sour cream (can use reduced fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish, more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Mixed salad greens (optional garnish)
- 2 medium or large crusty rolls
In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, mustard, horseradish, salt and pepper. Stir in the blue cheese. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, then the onions. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté until very tender and golden, stirring often and adjusting heat as needed, about 15 minutes.
To make the sandwiches, cut the rolls in half horizontally. Place beef slices on bottom half. Top with some onions, then some sauce. Top with the other half of the roll. Wrap in paper towels and heat in microwave until warm, about 30 seconds depending on microwave wattage. If desired, remove the top roll and garnish with the optional greens. Serve immediately.
Notes: Sandwiches can be wrapped in foil and heated in a moderate oven. If using freshly grilled steak that is still hot, omit the heating step entirely and just toast the rolls.