Shrimp Marinara (Shrimp with Tomato Sauce)
This Italian-influenced shrimp recipe is quick, easy, healthy, delicious and equally appropriate for a family dinner, special occasion or entertaining. Serve with rice, pasta or polenta. For a similar version with a southern twist, see the shrimp and grits recipe in the similar and related recipes links.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup seafood or shrimp broth (see notes below)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, preferably unsalted, with juices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 pounds medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, then the onions and green peppers. Sauté until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté one more minute. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Add the shrimp; cover and cook until shrimp turn pink, about 4 minutes. Serve immediately, scooping extra sauce over the side dish.
Notes: You can use store-bought seafood broth, but it is very easy to make your own from the shrimp peels. See the similar and related recipes links for directions.