Dilled Tartar Sauce
Makes about 1 cup
I love my regular homemade tartar sauce made with sweet pickles, as in the similar and related recipes links. However, sometimes it is nice to have something a little different so I created this version. Dill is the perfect seasoning for most seafood, and it works equally well in tartar sauce. I especially like this with my sautéed fish fillet sandwiches, also in the similar and related recipes. The basil is optional but, if you have fresh on hand, give it a try. This quick and easy recipe can be made in any amount needed.
- 1 cup mayonnaise (can use light or canola)
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle cubes or chopped dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper (or canned chopped pimentos, drained)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons shredded fresh basil leaves (optional)
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Taste and adjust as needed. Sauce can be used immediately, but is even better if refrigerated for several hours or overnight and brought back to room temperature before serving.