Creamy Mushroom Soup
Serves 2 as a main dish, 4 as a first course
This mushroom soup recipe is so good and very easy to prepare. It is great as a main dish served with a salad or sandwich, or as an elegant first for a special occasion or entertaining. Use whatever mushrooms you prefer, but keep in mind that brown mushrooms, such as cremini, have more flavor than white. Clean the mushrooms before slicing by wiping with a damp paper towel.
- 4 tablespoons butter, preferably unsalted
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced shitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups milk (regular or 2% fat)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the butter, then the onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with salt, pepper and thyme, and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the sherry. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil for about 1 minute. Add the milk, cream and nutmeg. Bring back to a boil, then reduce to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.