Chinese-Style Green Beans
This green bean recipe is a quick, easy, healthy and delicious side dish. It goes well with most any meal, especially those with other Oriental-flavored dishes.
- 1-1/2 pounds young green beans, cleaned and stem ends removed
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 small green onions, cleaned and cut diagonally, including all of the white and some of the green
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted or dark sesame oil
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- Pepper to taste
Place beans and water in a medium skillet over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high, cover and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes depending on size and freshness. Remove the lid and add the remaining ingredients. Continue to cook until the liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.