Roasted Green Beans and Mushrooms
This is a quick, easy, healthy and delicious recipe for green beans. Roasting the green beans and mushrooms intensifies the flavors. I prefer to use cremini mushrooms, also known as baby bellas, because they have more flavor than white button mushrooms. However, you can use almost any mushroom you prefer.
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 pound fresh green and/or wax beans, stem ends removed, rinsed and drained well
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved or quartered, depending on size
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil, about 2 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425° F. For easy cleanup, line a large baking sheet or shallow baking dish with foil. Spray lightly with olive or cooking oil spray. Place the beans on the sheet, then add the mushrooms, garlic, marjoram, thyme, salt, pepper and just enough olive oil to coat lightly. Toss to combine, then spread into one layer. Bake until the beans are tender and lightly browned, about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on size. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and roast until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. These can be served hot, warm or room temperature.
Notes: If you are serving big vegetable eaters, like me, you might want to double the recipe for four people. I usually double the amount of beans but not the mushrooms.