Roasted Green Beans with Red Bell Peppers
I absolutely love roasted green beans and have them often. Occasionally, I add red bell peppers to the beans, which adds a little sweetness and lots of flavor. You can also use yellow or orange peppers, but I think that red have the most flavor. A combination would be very colorful. When fresh beans are not in season, I use the washed and trimmed bagged versions in the produce department. This recipe is a quick, easy, healthy and delicious Italian-inspired side dish.
- 1 pound fresh green and/or wax beans, stem ends removed, rinsed and drained well
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cleaned and cut into strips about the size of the beans
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425° F. For easy cleanup, line a large four-sided baking sheet with foil. Spray lightly with olive or cooking oil spray. Place the beans and pepper strips on the sheet, then add the garlic, marjoram, salt and pepper. Drizzle with enough olive oil to lightly coat. Toss to combine, then spread into one layer. Bake until the beans and peppers are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on size. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and roast about 2 more minutes. Serve hot, warm or room temperature.