Lima Beans with Mushrooms, Garlic and Basil
I almost forgot about this lima bean recipe. My mother got the idea from a cookbook or magazine years ago. We tried it and then made some changes to the original recipe to suit our tastes. It is delicious and, using frozen beans, a quick and easy Italian-inspired side dish for a busy weeknight or special occasion.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces mushrooms, preferably cremini, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound frozen lima beans, preferably baby
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup water (more if needed)
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat, then add the mushrooms. Season with a little salt and pepper and sauté until softened. Add the garlic, then the lima beans, basil, additional salt and pepper. Add the water. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until lima beans are tender, adding more water if needed, about 20 minutes. When tender, remove the lid and cook until excess moisture is evaporated.