Okra, Corn and Tomatoes
Serves 4 to 6
Okra, corn and tomatoes is one of those dishes I tend to forget about even though I love it so, when I do make it, it is a special treat. The recipe is very versatile in that you can alter the amounts of the okra, corn or tomatoes. And, for a vegetarian version, omit the bacon and add a little more oil. Using frozen vegetables makes this a quick and easy, as well as healthy and delicious southern side dish.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 bag (16-ounces) frozen cut okra
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes, broken apart slightly, with juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon pieces and sauté until the fat has rendered, about 1 minute. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and cook until the okra is hot and tender, about 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning and serve or keep warm over a very low heat.