Roasted Winter Root Vegetables
Winter root vegetables complement each other so well. You can use any combination that you prefer for this easy side dish recipe, as well as any herbs that go with your entree. See the variation below for a slightly different roasting method.
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-1/4 inch chunks
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cut into 1-1/4 inch chunks
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1-1/4 inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1-1/4 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-1/4 inch pieces
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, whole (or halved if very large)
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 400° F. Place the vegetables in a large shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with the herbs, salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss to combine. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake until tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Variation: If you want the vegetables to brown more, cut them a little smaller, increase the heat to 450° and roast, uncovered, until tender.