Stir-Fried Snow Peas with Mushrooms
This was one of my mother's recipes. It is a quick, easy, healthy and delicious Chinese-style side dish that complements most any meal. Use any mushroom you prefer, such as white button, cremini or shitake.
- 1 tablespoon canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (see comments above)
- 1 pound snow peas, cleaned and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, preferably lower sodium
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- Pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Add the peas, broth, soy sauce, sugar and pepper. Stir fry for about 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Serve immediately.