Delicious Diners Salad (Cabbage Salad)
(Shared recipe submitted by Anne Pokras.)
Anne writes: "This salad is a wonderful side dish with a meal. There was a very famous diner in Newark, N.J., called the Weequahic diner. Later on it moved to Verona, N.J. and was called the Claremont diner. I remember going there and always finding a bowl of this delicious salad on the table. It is really worth making. You will get compliments galore."
- 3 pounds cabbage, shredded in a food processor or by hand
- 2 carrots, sliced into disks about 1/4-inch thick
- 2 green peppers, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 2 large Vidalia or other sweet onions, sliced (can use regular onions)
- 4 teaspoons sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water (can use artificial sweetener)
- 3/4 cup of white vinegar
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- About 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Garlic powder, celery salt, and pepper to taste
Marinate the above ingredients in the refrigerator. This salad can last for many weeks in the refrigerator.
Click here for information and to browse all
the shared recipes.
About Anne: Anne's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.