Baked French Toast with Praline Topping
(Shared recipe submitted by C. Michael Ranck.)
Michael sent this recipe with credit to Kay Reynolds, Reynard House Bed & Breakfast, Waverly, Pa. It is equally good for a family weekend breakfast, special occasion or potluck event. It is quick and easy to prepare and sounds delicious.
- One loaf (13 to 16 ounces) French bread
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Speck of salt
Click here for information and to browse all
the shared recipes.
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Maple syrup or honey
For the casserole, slice bread into 20 (1-inch) slices. Arrange the slices in a generously buttered 13x9-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half & half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, and beat with a beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture, spooning some of the mixture in between the slices, too. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Similar and Related Recipes
Whole Wheat Waffles
Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Additional Yeast and Quick Bread Recipes
Additional Egg Recipes
Additional Shared Family Recipes
The next day, preheat oven to 350° F. Combine the praline topping ingredients in a medium bowl and spread it evenly over the bread. Bake for 40 minutes or until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with pure maple syrup or honey.
About Michael: Michael was very special to this site for two reasons. He was my brother and a trained chef. I am so grateful that he was able to share a few recipes before he passed.
Additional recipes submitted by Michael:
- Quick and Creamy Eggless Caesar Dressing
- Nantucket Chicken (Stuffed Breasts with Rice and Cranberries)