Green Beans in Hampshire (Green Bean Casserole)
(Shared recipe submitted by Donna Sims.)
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/2 to 1 pound of bacon
- 4 to 5 cans, or 4 packages frozen, French-style green beans
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups sour cream
- 1 large bunch green onions, sliced or chopped
- 1 can or fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned or plain bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 350° F. Fry bacon crispy and set aside. If using frozen green beans, cook and drain. If using canned, warm and drain. Sauté green onions in butter until about half the size but not browned. Then mix green beans, sautéed green onion, salt, and sour cream. Crumble bacon into mixture. Drain mushrooms and add also. (Fresh mushrooms can be used and sautéed with green onion.) Pour into buttered casserole and top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dot with butter and bake for 45 minutes. Let set for about 15 minutes before serving. Leftovers are really good warmed up, too!
Click here for information and to browse all
the shared recipes.
About Donna: Donna's e-mail address is Frost4me@aol.com.