Sausage and Pasta
(Shared recipe submitted by Doug Zook.)
Doug writes: "The recipe below is on the lighter side from the normally tomato sauce-laden Italian fare a lot of us are used to. Hope you like it!"
- 1 package (about 19.5-ounces) mild Italian link sausages
- 1/4 teaspoon each fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (6.5-ounces) fancy pimentos, diced
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) diced tomatoes (basil, garlic and oregano style)
- 1 can (2.25-ounces) sliced ripe black olives
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound angel hair pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Slice sausages into 1/4-inch thick coin shapes. Place the sausages into large pan over medium-high heat and toss with the olive oil until well coated. Add the red pepper flakes, fennel and caraway seeds; toss well to mix and continue frying until well browned. Add the pimentos, tomatoes and olives; toss well, reduce heat and continue cooking for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat, add the minced garlic, again mixing well. Cover. Mix in oregano just before serving.
Cook selected pasta according to package directions. Place pasta serving on plate or wide serving bowl and spoon sausage mixture over pasta. Serve with sprig of fresh herb and a thick slice of a good, crusty buttered bread. Enjoy.
Click here for information and to browse all
the shared recipes.
Notes: A chilled glass of your favorite wine is a nice accompaniment. Some variations and additions include: sautéed mushrooms, capers, roasted red bell peppers and/or a tablespoon or two of tomato paste as a thickener.
About Doug: Doug is from Mount Joy, PA. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.