(Shared Recipe from Glenda Chastain.)
This recipe was submitted by an acquaintance of Glenda's. He wrote: "This recipe was developed by Glenda Chastain, Channelview, Texas. It has been published in the 'Progressive Farmer', Birmingham, Alabama, and local papers."
- 2 pounds fresh catfish, pan-dressed and skinned
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked regular rice (long grain, converted)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cans (15-ounces each) tomato sauce with tomato bits
- 1 jar (2-ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Place catfish in a large Dutch oven; cover with water, Bring to a boil, reduce, heat and simmer 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Drain fish, reserving 3-1/3 cups broth. Cool fish slightly; remove flesh from bone in large pieces. Set aside. Bring reserved broth to a boil in medium saucepan; add rice; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Sauté onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add tomato sauce, pimientos, sugar, and seasonings; cover and simmer 10 minutes, Add catfish; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Serve over hot rice.
Click here for information and to browse all the shared recipes.