Kale and Bean Soup
(Shared recipe submitted by Gil Sequira.)
Gil writes: "This is a great vegetarian soup with lots of fiber and vitamin C."
- 1 tablespoon of olive or canola oil
- 6 to 8 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups of kale, chopped if fresh (can use 2 to 3 packages frozen, or 2 to 3 cans)
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15-ounces each) of white beans, any kind
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes or chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of chopped parsley
Click here for information and to browse all
the shared recipes.
In a large pot, heat olive oil, then add garlic and onion. Sauté these ingredients until soft. Add kale and sauté until wilted. Add 3 cups of the broth, 2 cups of beans, tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
Using a blender, or what have you, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth. I bet you are asking why. It is to thicken the soup. Mix into soup. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve it up in bowls and dress with parsley.