Joe's Family Pasta with Sausage and Greens
(Shared recipe submitted by Irish.)
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pound shells or similar pasta
- Salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, diced (or less if to taste)
- 12 ounces broccoli rabe or kale, chopped, or spinach
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional with greens)
- About 1-1/2 cups chicken stock and/or pasta water
- 3/4 pound Italian sausage, half hot, half sweet (sliced or removed from casings)
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add enough salt to the water to flavor it. Add the pasta and cook as directed on the package for al dente.
Cook sliced garlic in a tablespoon or two or olive oil until lightly browned. Add kale, broccoli rabe or spinach to the pan and a bit of chicken stock to make the greens tender; cover pan. Check on this as it cooks.
While greens are cooking, sauté sausage until brown. When pasta is done, drain and return to pan. Toss together with the greens, garlic, sausage and Parmesan cheese.
Notes: You can add onion if you wish when you are browning sausage. Use the chicken broth or some of the pasta water to make the pasta recipe the right consistency. Just add bit by bit to the pasta mixture until you get what you want. Also, you can pass the cheese when serving as some do not want cheese. The red pepper flakes in with the greens make it interesting!
About Irish: Irish's e-mail address is Irish48236@aol.com.