Marco Jaimes' Mexican Rice
(Shared recipe submitted by Joanna Figart.)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup long or medium grain rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and diced
- 1 ripe medium tomato roasted, or boiled cored and peeled, or 1/2 can (15-ounces) tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- Several sprigs fresh cilantro
Set oil over medium heat. Add the rice and onion and cook, stirring regularly, until both are lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Mix in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Puree tomato. Pour broth into a small pan, add the salt and bring to a simmer. Add the tomato puree to the browned rice and cook for a minute, stirring. Add simmering broth to the rice and scrape browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit 5 to 10 minutes on the burner you just turned off until the rice is tender.
While the rice is cooking, simmer the carrot 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and add to the peas. When rice is tender, add the vegetables and fluff with a fork to separate the rice. Decorate with cilantro and serve.
About Joanna: I have known Joanna since she was a little girl. She, her mother and I spent many mornings together at the beach during summer vacations. Now she is all grown up and doing her own cooking. Joanna's e-mail address is Syd0224@aol.com.
Additional recipes submitted by Joanna:
Click here for information and to browse all the shared recipes.