(Shared recipe submitted by Robin E. Adair.)
Makes about 5 dozen cookies
Robin writes: "Here is a recipe that has been handed down from several generations of Pennsylvania Dutch relatives."
- 1 cup shortening, preferably butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (9-ounces) crushed pineapple with juice
- 3-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Thoroughly mix together the butter, sugar and egg. Stir in the pineapple and juices. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Stir into the pineapple mixture, then mix in the nuts. Chill dough at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400° F. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until, when touched lightly with finger, no imprint remains.
About Robin: Robin's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for information and to browse all the shared recipes.